Keller & Owens works with many types of educational institutions, including private colleges, universities and seminaries. We understand the challenges of competition for enrollments and funding, tight budgets, increasing costs, and uncertain return on investments.
We keep in touch with the issues and challenges facing these organizations by membership in associations that support this important industry segment. These associations include the Association of Business Administrators of Christian Colleges, Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability and the Christian Management Association. We regularly use the resources of other supporting organizations such as the National Association of College and University Business Officers to serve our clients. Our professionals maintain their knowledge of the latest financial, tax and regulatory requirements through regular training.
We help higher education organizations act as good financial managers of their resources by offering the following services:
Accounting: Meaningful, well-organized financial records help you manage your operations more efficiently. We provide a full range of cost-effective accounting services.
- Accounting and financial policies and procedures manuals
- Bookkeeping and accounting services
- General ledger and financial statement preparation
- Payroll preparation and consultation
- QuickBooks® and other software consulting
Assurance: Many times you need an independent expert’s report on matters of significance to your operations. We offer the following services designed to provide the desired level of assurance on such matters.
- Audits and reviews of financial statements
- Audits of student financial aid programs
- Audits of other public and private funding programs
- Internal control system examinations
- Other examinations, such as compliance with governance policies
Consulting: In addition to acting as a ready resource to the Board and to management, we provide a variety of consulting services.
- Audit and finance committee organization and operation consultation
- Benchmarking studies
- Cash flow and budget analysis
- Compensation and benefit planning
- Financial forecasts and projections
- Financing alternatives evaluation
- Formation of for-profit subsidiaries
- Fraud investigations and forensic services
- Fraud prevention reviews
- Internal audit consultation
- Multi-state charitable solicitation regulations
- Sarbanes-Oxley compliance advice
- Student financial aid programs
- Training financial staff
Taxes: We can help you to identify key issues and needs that minimize taxes and protect your tax exempt status.
- Charitable giving consultation
- IRS tax compliance studies
- Property, sales and use tax consultation
- Tax exemption application consulting and Form 1023 preparation
- Unrelated business income and excess benefit consulting
For more information about our services for colleges and universities, contact Greg Owens or Rich Bili at (913) 338-3500 or e-mail us at email@example.com.