There are more than 35,000 grant-making foundations of all types in the United States. The vast majority of these foundations are independent or private foundations. Corporate, community and operating foundations make up the other five percent.
Keller & Owens serves private, corporate and other foundations that provide important funds to aid educational, social, charitable, religious and other organizations in accomplishing their mission. We encourage and advise donors on the value of actively participating in philanthropic causes that meet their personal objectives. We participate in charitable activities as a firm.
We help foundations and their stakeholders more effectively use their resources by offering the following services:
Accounting: Meaningful, well-organized financial records help you manage your operations more efficiently. We provide a full range of cost-effective accounting services.
- Accounting and financial policies and procedures manuals
- Bookkeeping and controllership services
- General ledger and financial statement preparation
- Payroll preparation and consultation
- QuickBooks® and other software consulting
Assurance: Many times you need an independent expert’s report on matters of significance to your operations. We offer the following services designed to provide the desired level of assurance on such matters.
- Audits and reviews of financial statements
- Internal control system examinations
- Other examinations, such as monitoring grantees, including testing of grantee program expenditures
Consulting: In addition to acting as a ready resource to the Board and to management, we provide a variety of consulting services.
- Audit and grant committee organization and operation consultation
- Benchmarking studies
- Cash flow and budget analysis
- Compensation and benefit planning
- Financial forecasts and projections
- Fraud investigations and forensic services
- Fraud prevention reviews
- Internal audit consultation
- Grant program policies and procedures consultation
- Sarbanes-Oxley compliance advice
- Training financial staff
Taxes: We can help you to identify key issues and needs that minimize taxes and protect your tax exempt status.
- Calculating minimum required payout and excise taxes
- Charitable giving consultation
- Form 990-PF training, review or preparation
- IRS tax compliance studies
- Tax exemption application consulting and private letter rulings
- Unrelated business income and intermediate sanctions consulting